Discuss.FOLIO.org is no longer used. This is a static snapshot of the website as of February 14, 2023.

:file_cabinet: Inventory, UX iteration 1, English

filipjakobsen
2 Nov '17

:warning: Note: The previous apps called Items and Instances have been merged into this unified app, called Inventory.

Please note: This video presents our optimal vision for this feature in FOLIO; What you see in this prototype is what we are working towards in the long run, and might not all be present in the first, developed version. Please help us improve it — share your questions, constructive feedback and ideas in the comments below.

:zap: Instances, UX iteration 3, English
:zap: 🗄 Items, UX iteration 2

LauraW
8 Nov '17

For the work I envision myself doing in this app, the layout as you’ve outlined it here works very well. I pretty much always want to start with a broad overview before looking at specifics (e.g., items or holdings or instance details). But I’m trying to imagine how a process like serials receiving would work, or if this is even where it would take place?

My ideal version would have the middle pane customizable at the individual user level so that, for instance, I could choose what’s shown here and someone else could choose to have the items collapsed as a default. Even if that’s not possible, this is a much more intuitive and user-friendly interface than I am used to working with.

I’m super excited about both the change tracker and the notes plugin. Do you envision the notes being searchable? (For example, if I wanted to find all the notes I added in a particular month or all the notes others had added where I was tagged?) Detailed change tracking would go a long way toward eliminating many common frustrations in my work.

kmarti
9 Nov '17

It would be great to prototype e-books/e-journals, to see how that information will work. I’m thinking it would be helpful to be able to link to particular packages, and if the data is being driven from the e-holdings app, which then I would expect if we went to edit the holdings(?), it would open into the e-holdings app, or maybe straight to the knowledge base from which the data is derived.

Heather
14 Nov '17

I agree with @kmarti; I’m really interested in seeing how e-resources might show up in the Inventory.

When ordering new ebooks/packages, one of the things we investigate is whether we already hold the title(s) in question, either in print or in e-. I see a “Related works” box in the demo; I’m not sure if that’s where this sort of linkage is meant to go?

At Cornell, we’ve nearly merged our monographic P and E ordering teams, and have tried very hard to make our E workflows as similar to the P ones wherever possible - it reduces the amount of new hijinx a person has to learn. Where P books and E books overlap, it would be nice to be looking at them in sort of the same way in the UI?

liisa
14 Nov '17

I also agree with Kmarti and Heather - I would like to see the prototypes for e-resources in the inventory. How do e-journals/e-books show up in the inventory, particularly when we might get access to the same title on multiple platforms? How do the e-resources link to their respective licenses? Can we get to the license information from the inventory? What is viewable by the staff/public in terms of licenses? Here at Cornell, we have tried to publicly display license restrictions such as simultaneous user limits, restrictions on sites which can use particular e-resources, etc. I haven’t looked at all of the FOLIO pages, so perhaps some of this is explained elsewhere?
Regarding LauraW’s comments about the notes - I agree that notes and the change tracker would be really cool.

kkemner
17 Nov '17

I agree with @kmarti, liisa and Heather and would like to see, how ejournals and ebooks are shown in the inventory, including holdings information (which should be here too, not just in the KB)
And I have a question about the “available” information: is it just the general loan status information about the item m or is it planned to be dynamic and showing the recent status (= API to loan app)?

filipjakobsen
17 Nov '17

Thanks for your comments, Kirstin!

The item status in this case is meant to indicate if the item is available (checked in) or not.

fhemme
21 Nov '17

Hi @filipjakobsen , We also discussed whether we need this intermediate level “summary”. As far as I understand it, we need this so that we can expand and collapse the display of copies. It also shows how many copies are currently available. Will the system be heavily strained if, for example, 100 copies are linked to an instance record and the availability of each item is checked?