Discuss.FOLIO.org is no longer used. This is a static snapshot of the website as of February 14, 2023.

:bookmark: Bookmarks, UX iteration 1

filipjakobsen
5 Jun '17

Please note: This video presents our optimal vision for this feature in FOLIO; What you see in this prototype is what we are working towards in the long run, and might not all be present in the first, developed version. Please help us improve it — share your questions, constructive feedback and ideas in the comments below.

andrealoigman
9 Jul '17

To start with an admission . . . I’m a bit confused by the whole bookmark functionality. I’m also aware that I’m looking at something with a broad use from a very access services focus, so I may just be missing the point. Apologies if these questions/comments don’t make sense.

First off, I thought that the bookmarks were how we were going to make notes in patron or item records. If that’s the case I’m going to want to see the bookmarks from the patron or item record. I’m very unlikely ever want to see all of the ones that I’ve created. Eventually there would be thousands of them and the fact that I marked them, while useful if someone has a question, is the least important factor.

• Also, if these are being used to create these sorts of notes, some will need to be tagged/marked/? to make sure that they pop-up under specific circumstances (e.g. when a specific item is returned, or when a particular patron tries to check something out).

It’s really difficult to understand how this works unless I can see how the actual individual bookmarks are formatted.

• The demo shows one with ‘22 items’. What happens when I click on that? Is it just a list of the items? Is there anyway to notate the item/bookmark so I can remember why I marked that particular record? If so, does the search feature search my notes too?

Shared bookmarks for an entire organization would quickly reach an unmanageable number. I’d suggest being able to filter by department, working unit or specific library.

How do we create new bookmark sets or edit existing ones to rearrange them?

I love the idea of designing reports and being able to re-run them as needed. I have that ability in my current system and I use it all of the time. I probably have close to a hundred reports that I run at different intervals. I understand that due to my role I have more of these reports than most folks, but the bookmark set-up, as described, doesn’t seem like a great way to organize or keep track of them. I’d really prefer to see that piece as a separate function. Maybe the reporting SIG will have better input on this once they get up and running.

• I realize that this question is a bit out of scope, but I frequently run my existing reports with different time frames or other specifics (location, patron group, etc.). Would I be able to edit before re-running or would I need to create separate reports?
filipjakobsen
13 Jul '17

Hi @andrealoigman — Thank you for your questions! I have tried to answer some of your questions and add my comments below:

First off, I thought that the bookmarks were how we were going to make notes in patron or item records. If that’s the case I’m going to want to see the bookmarks from the patron or item record. I’m very unlikely ever want to see all of the ones that I’ve created. Eventually there would be thousands of them and the fact that I marked them, while useful if someone has a question, is the least important factor.
I believe you are referring to a different feature, Notes, which is used to add notes on any type of record, incl. a user profile. Bookmarks are meant for saving references / lists / sets of records for export/bulk editing/automations

- - Also, if these are being used to create these sorts of notes, some will need to be tagged/marked/? to make sure that they pop-up under specific circumstances (e.g. when a specific item is returned, or when a particular patron tries to check something out).
See above — let me know if I am misunderstanding what you meant.

It’s really difficult to understand how this works unless I can see how the actual individual bookmarks are formatted.
We will try to make it more specific in the next UX iteration. For both Bookmarks and Notes.

- - The demo shows one with ‘22 items’. What happens when I click on that? Is it just a list of the items? Is there anyway to notate the item/bookmark so I can remember why I marked that particular record? If so, does the search feature search my notes too?
It is simply a list of individual references to records. Good point on the notes for a bookmark. Is that something that is relevant to you — bearing in mind the distinction I mentioned above between Notes and Bookmarks?

Shared bookmarks for an entire organization would quickly reach an unmanageable number. I’d suggest being able to filter by department, working unit or specific library.
Good point. We will consider this going forward. Thank you!

How do we create new bookmark sets or edit existing ones to rearrange them?
We will try to clarify this in the next UX iteration for this feature.

I love the idea of designing reports and being able to re-run them as needed. I have that ability in my current system and I use it all of the time. I probably have close to a hundred reports that I run at different intervals. I understand that due to my role I have more of these reports than most folks, but the bookmark set-up, as described, doesn’t seem like a great way to organize or keep track of them. I’d really prefer to see that piece as a separate function. Maybe the reporting SIG will have better input on this once they get up and running.
Good points! We will try to keep it in mind going forward.

I realize that this question is a bit out of scope, but I frequently run my existing reports with different time frames or other specifics (location, patron group, etc.). Would I be able to edit before re-running or would I need to create separate reports?
This is what the Workflows app would help achieve, through automated workflows that pull in different types of data automatically or semi-automatically.

andrealoigman
24 Jul '17

Yes even with the distinction the ability to add a note would be veryhelpful. I can easily see myself bookmarking a patron because I need to contact them and then not being able to remember why I tagged them.