Discuss.FOLIO.org is no longer used. This is a static snapshot of the website as of February 14, 2023.

:bust_in_silhouette: My profile, UX iteration 2

filipjakobsen
5 Jun '17

Please note: This video presents our optimal vision for this feature in FOLIO; What you see in this prototype is what we are working towards in the long run, and might not all be present in the first, developed version. Please help us improve it — share your questions, constructive feedback and ideas in the comments below.

kmarti
9 Jun '17

I’m curious about the limitation to only a particular user. It seems like there could be a use case for an administrator to review a staff member’s activities within FOLIO. Is there a privacy concern I’m not thinking of?

filipjakobsen
9 Jun '17

It has been pointed out that allowing managers to quantify tasks performed in the system might lead to focus on things that look productive in the system, rather than solving tasks properly — so leaving the power to share with the individual user would allow it, but not allow managers to monitor people directly. This might be different from institution to institution — what does everyone on here think? :slight_smile:

andrealoigman
9 Jul '17

In some institutions the analysis of which tasks a staff member completed and how many times they were done in a given time frame is a required analysis for managers.
Managers may also analyze this kind of data to help determine what expectations are realistic when goal setting.
Not having the ability to access that information could be very problematic.
I’d suggest making it accessible and then including a permission setting that would prevent it’s use at institutions that don’t want to use it.

Also, the export needs to have time limits. I understand that you could filter for it in excel, but A circulation staffer will performs thousands of actions in the system per month and a copy cataloger, over time, may create/edit/delete many thousands of records. This could easily become a huge file, cumbersome to work with and slow to download and filter.

It’s also quite likely that there would be an occasional need for managers or administrators to make changes to this profile on the staff person’s behalf. Again, I’d suggest a permission setting to control access and editing capacity.

PaulaSullenger
10 Jul '17

It will be critical for managers to be able to see who does what and when in FOLIO, especially in the beginning. We will have to develop new procedures for every task. When something goes wrong, is it a problem with the new procedure or is somebody not following the new procedure? How can tell where the problem is if we can’t see what people are doing.

filipjakobsen
13 Jul '17

Thanks for your comments, @andrealoigman

In some institutions the analysis of which tasks a staff member completed and how many times they were done in a given time frame is a required analysis for managers.
Managers may also analyze this kind of data to help determine what expectations are realistic when goal setting.
Not having the ability to access that information could be very problematic.
I’d suggest making it accessible and then including a permission setting that would prevent it’s use at institutions that don’t want to use it.
We will keep these comments in mind going forward; for institutions where this type of system functionality is needed, we should figure out the best way to support it without creating distrust or confusion about what managers have access to see.

Also, the export needs to have time limits. I understand that you could filter for it in excel, but A circulation staffer will performs thousands of actions in the system per month and a copy cataloger, over time, may create/edit/delete many thousands of records. This could easily become a huge file, cumbersome to work with and slow to download and filter.
Good point. Right now, this is not one of the core features we are prioritizing, but as we develop the concept, adding a filter functionality might be a good idea. I could imagine that these types of reports, for people who use them regularly, will be done automatically through Workflows.

It’s also quite likely that there would be an occasional need for managers or administrators to make changes to this profile on the staff person’s behalf. Again, I’d suggest a permission setting to control access and editing capacity.
Duly noted. Thanks!

filipjakobsen
13 Jul '17

Thanks for your comments, @PaulaSullenger

It will be critical for managers to be able to see who does what and when in FOLIO, especially in the beginning. We will have to develop new procedures for every task. When something goes wrong, is it a problem with the new procedure or is somebody not following the new procedure? How can tell where the problem is if we can’t see what people are doing.
Duly noted. We will keep these challenges in mind when creating the next iteration of the UX prototype for this feature. Thanks!