The purpose of this post is to start a discussion about whether Statistical fields regarding Users should be a Custom field or an Additional field. What follows comes from my notes during the UM-SIG meeting earlier today.
Points in favor of using additional fields for statistics:
- Statistical categories are already present in the Inventory app, and we might be able to use the same structure in the Users app.
- Additional fields would be in the LDP. We can write reports against the LDP. Reports using Custom fields might be trickier, because they are not in the LDP.
- Many institutions need Statistical fields, and we’re all planning on configuring Custom fields separately. Perhaps we could all make use of this structure by having it as Additional fields, so we don’t wind up duplicating each others’ work.
- Additional fields can be migrated. The user import can’t manage Custom fields at this time.
Points in favor of having Custom fields for statistics:
- Custom fields can be created today. JIRA tickets asking for Additional fields are not MVP.
- Custom fields are more flexible than Additional fields, because Additional fields require a controlled vocabulary.
Questions to help us focus the discussion:
- Should all of the Statistical fields be repeatable within a User record?
- What requirements should we have for reports using Statistical fields? We should be specific about what we need, not about how we go about getting these reports.
- What requirements should we have for Statistical codes?
- Is the model for Additional fields as it exists in the Inventory app a workable model for the Users app?