Discuss.FOLIO.org is no longer used. This is a static snapshot of the website as of February 14, 2023.

@Cult - WeCat demo Q&A

Lynn_W
25 Oct '17

Link to MM SIG meeting recording with WeCat demo: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7G8S7WF6N20YUM4My1oRTIxSHM

Questions from MM SIG members. Responses from Tiziana at @Cult

1. I’m not sure how to refer to this product. What name does it go by? @Cult is refers to the company only, correct?

Tiziana: yes, it’s correct: the company is @Cult; the product is WeCat, that is the cataloguing module of an ILS named OliSuite. The WeCat module is what we are studying/porting in Folio.

2. Since the search capabilities are so refined, my next thoughts have to do with what can be done with that result set:
· Is a batch edit of a results set possible, and at what level? (Bib, holding?)

Tiziana: no, at the moment a search result enables you to enter and edit each record (or heading, depending by the search logic you used) included into the search result set. But, add a way to ‘save the search result set’ to work on it in a batch manner could be a good suggestion as an enhancement!

· If so, which elements can be edited in batch?

Tiziana: we have at this moment a number of procedures to edit/correct data in a batch way. But, at the moment, they start by a query done directly on database, not making use of search result set in the client. We already thought (above all for Casalini version, but also for the standard version) to ‘package’ all these procedures and to make them available to cataloguers in a web client (to emancipate the cataloger from the technical support!)

· Is it possible to export a search result set into a CSV file?

Tiziana: yes, this is possible; it’s possible to export a search result set in different formats.

3. The ability to build relationships within that module is incredible. Does @Cult currently have a discovery layer or know of one that takes advantage of what is happening behind the scenes with their product? Does anyone have a sense of whether or not VuFind can be coded to take advantage of this?

Tiziana: the discovery tool of our customers is OseeGenius, based on SOLR technology. We updated our data extraction tools to retrieve this rich relationships set and to manage (index) them in our discovery. Because I think that VuFind is based on the same technology (SOLR) I think that it could be not so hard do the same on it. But, of course, most of thes relationships have not a corresponding Marc tag/subfield. You need define some properties in SOLR to be able to retrieve (and show) them.
We have mapped relationships to report them in a certain number of Marc tags. We didn’t consider the tag 758, coming from Marc proposal no. 2017-09, and recently approved to be included in Marc 21 evolution, to report some of these relationships, but we are considering now also this new tag to be ready with new Marc 21 updates.