Discuss.FOLIO.org is no longer used. This is a static snapshot of the website as of February 14, 2023.

Ebook metadata/Records in Folio

Lynn_W
5 Oct '17

duplicative metadata for eBooks: some in the remote KB, which allows for accessing the eBooks in the library’s discovery layer, and some in locally-stored MARC records. Moving forward, do we see that scenario working differently in FOLIO (only use KB metadata perhaps?) and if so, 1) what does that mean in terms of the richness of the metadata and 2) what about current workflows that involve transporting non-bibliographic metadata in those local MARC records, e.g. acquisitions data? (From the MM-SIG Parking lot: Ann-Marie: 21 Sept 2017)

kmarti
17 Oct '17

I would like a way to cut down on duplicative metadata without losing richness. I think for ebooks, a comprehensive description is important–access points like author, alternate titles, subjects–are critical for helping people find the books. I’d like to be able to use FOLIO to communicate with a link resolver KB to activate appropriate titles and have that KB record tied into a fuller bibliographic record (or whatever we will call it) stored or referenced within FOLIO.

NicoleTrujillo
6 Sep '18

I think book chapters are becoming important access points for people. People are finding book chapters in Google Scholar, clicking on the link resolver, and then requesting the book via ILL because we don’t have that metadata in there.

Full text indexing is also becoming important, although that is still mostly offered through the Discovery provider and not at a local level.

fhemme
11 Sep '18

AFAIK book chapters and article level analytics are not part of GOKb (and seemingly no part of EKB). If a library has not enough human resources to create these types of article level descriptions I could imagine importing metadata from external services like Crossref into the local inventory.