Discuss.FOLIO.org is no longer used. This is a static snapshot of the website as of February 14, 2023.

GoKB and EBSCO knowledge base

Alex
16 May '19

Hi, everyone

We’re investigating the knowledge base in the Folio.
We try to find some documents about GoKB and EBSCO knowledge base/EDS, but it seemed there are no information, such as related function, knowledge base list.
Would you please give us any good idea? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Alex

ostephens
16 May '19

Hi Alex,

What is it you are trying to find out? Both GOKb and EBSCO KB are integrated into Folio but in different ways. The ERM Subgroup is the group that is working in this area. I’m PO for the Agreements app which is where the GOKb integration occurs, and @kgambrell is the PO for the eHoldings app, which is where the EBSCO KB integration is done.

Let me know what sort of information you are looking for, or what questions you want to ask, and I’ll try to give you what you need

Owen

Alex
16 May '19

Owen, Khalilah @kgambrell ,

Thank you so much for your help!
I test the Agreements app in the https://folio-snapshot-stable.aws.indexdata.com. I was a bit confused, how can I search the GOKB in Codex, after create the agreement?

I check the eholdings setting, does Folio connect to EBSCO KB through EBSCO KB API?

Does the Folio support other KB except GOKB and EBSCO knowledge base?

Regards

Alex

kgambrell
16 May '19

Hello Alex,

Responses below with my initials KG

I was a bit confused, how can I search the GOKB in Codex, after create the agreement? [KG: Are you trying to attach a GOKB resource to an agreement? If so, please click on the eResources tab at the top of the Agreement app. You search GOKB content from that tab.]

I check the eholdings setting, does Folio connect to EBSCO KB through EBSCO KB API? [KG: Yes, it connects to EBSCO’s HoldingsIQ.]

Does the Folio support other KB except GOKB and EBSCO knowledge base? [KG: No. I believe there is a backlog item to support the ability to import package data into the local KB from a file (e.g. KBART file).]

Regards,

Khalilah

Alex
17 May '19

Hi, Khalilah

Here is my comments.

I was a bit confused, how can I search the GOKB in Codex, after create the agreement?
[KG: Are you trying to attach a GOKB resource to an agreement? If so, please click on the eResources tab at the top of the Agreement app. You search GOKB content from that tab.]
[Alex: Thanks! I get the contentin the e-resource tab today, it was empty yesterday.]

I check the eholdings setting, does Folio connect to EBSCO KB through EBSCO KB API?
[KG: Yes, it connects to EBSCO’s HoldingsIQ.]

Does the Folio support other KB except GOKB and EBSCO knowledge base?
[KG: No. I believe there is a backlog item to support the ability to import package data into the local KB from a file (e.g. KBART file).]
[Alex: Where is local KB? Is it a future function? ]

Best regards

Alex

ostephens
17 May '19

Hi Alex

So currently there are two ways of using a remote knowledgebase with Folio:

1. Manage content in the external KB, interact with KB through eHoldings (only implemented for EBSCO KB so far). In this scenario the data continues to be held in the external KB and is not brought into Folio.

2. Import content from the external KB into the Folio internal KB (only implemented for GOKb so far). In this scenario the data is held in the internal KB - which is what you see when you search the Agreements eResources tab.

As Khalilah said, we are working on adding the ability to import package data directly into the internal KB. The internal KB can hold data from multiple sources, so once we’ve completed the data import work, you will be able to use GOKb and also import additional package data from files into the internal KB.

In theory you can use both approach (1) and (2) at the same time, although this might be confusing - hence the introduction of the “Hide internal agreements knowledgebase” setting in Settings->Agreements->General - you use this if you only want to manage knowledgebase content through eHoldings.

Whichever approach you use, you are able to add the eresources to Agreements and through the agreement also connect to licenses

Hope that all makes sense?

Owen

Alex
17 May '19

Owen

Thanks for your explanation! Both ways are useful for libraries.

1. We want Folio to support more KBs, except EBSCO KB, in the first way.
  2. in second way, we hope the batch import tool can be completed as soon as possible, then we can import some local packages.

Regards

Alex

ostephens
17 May '19

Hi Alex,

Which other KBs do you want to see supported specifically?

Ultimately for there to be an integration using eHoldings, the external KB will need to have APIs that support this type of integration - this means we need to get engagement from the third party KB suppliers. To try to start this conversation we are hoping to persuade some suppliers to come to the upcoming Folio meeting in Washington - see https://docs.google.com/document/d/19jOOGR_r9XgcnjZ5DLIFyBTDE-pNbptwJexpoKzQGiU/edit for a draft letter that we are working on to try to make this happen.

Ann-Marie
17 May '19

Hi Owen,

Batch import of course causes my ears to perk up. Is the import that you mention going to be in the Agreements app itself? So far, we’ve not really discussed the Data Import app causing anything to happen in Agreements or Licenses. Thank you!

A-M

ostephens
17 May '19

Hi Ann-Marie

There are two relevant features we have:

https://issues.folio.org/browse/UXPROD-1513
https://issues.folio.org/browse/UXPROD-1514

and I’ve been working on a story this week https://issues.folio.org/browse/ERM-217 - but following some discussions I’m going to be re-writing that.

It would be great if this can be integrated with the existing Data Import work - I just don’t know what the technical issues/barriers might be

Owen