Skip FOLIO Project Navigation

Meeting Minutes 2016-09-07 14:00 UTC


#1

UX/UI call 2016-09-07 14:00 UTC

UX Prototype

It presents the wireframes in an interactive format. Without explanation, a user may only understand 20%, but still shows a general feel of what we’re doing. In particular the glue holding it all together: the framework.

Design bites now being published to disseminate ideas about the design.

Please see the Scanning bite:

Feedback on wireframe demo:

Lisa liked it overall. Question about if it will be a native app or web app, Filip confirms that it is a webapp (note: can run HTLM5 apps as native apps). The UI will have features to make productive work in a browser possible (overcomes challenges of that platform).

Andrea thought it was pretty, but wasn’t sure what she was looking at all the time. In particular the scan page. Filip posted a design bite about scanning, which might answer some of those questions.

The wireframe doesn’t show customizations, but Filip confirms that those will be in there. Likewise the powerful search.

Mark likes the three panes, in that it shows detail and also allows for easy navigation. It looks to be well organized. It is good that one doesn’t get stuck on a details screen with limited navigation possibilities.

Filip notes that the three panes will be useful for many apps, but there will be options for apps to do something different if needed.

Andrea has a question about who the settings gear is for. Filip says that it is for everyone, and that each person will be shown different things depending on their permissions. This will allow grouping of settings all in the same view that various apps can use.

Lisa would like to know more about what is going on with the catalog. Filip confirms that it is very bare bones, and that is because he has not really worked on it yet, and it is there has a placeholder, but feedback is still welcome. Feedback: holdings should go under bibliographic, it is a hierarchical model. Peter comments that there is still much ongoing discussion about the kabalog data model, which will influence the design.

Matt likes the workflow builder, but is troubled by the different scan modes and that being confusing. Filip initially wanted to do the automatic-mode selection, but circulation staff were concerned that that would make more difficult for (inexperienced) circ desk workers. The specialized modes for those tasks are designed to to make it difficult to make mistakes. These modes will enforce scanning practices. Automatic mode still exists, and a user can perform all the functionality in that mode, but it might not be as nice for checkout as the specialized mode. Modes that are presented to users will be filtered by their permissions, so users should only see the modes that they will be used (and not be confused by seeing the other ones in a selection UI).

Mark points out that there are other workflows for scanning other than checkin/out. e.g. In house use, and when receiving items that were in-transit at a location. Which one of these takes place is contextual based on the item status. Filip thinks that these needs would be handled in the automatic mode.

Andrea is worried about what will happen if there is a lot of data (e.g. people who have hundreds of items checked out). Filip proposes that a more efficient view could be designed for that.

Andrea thinks that the staff permissions not be so prominent on the person-veiw page.

Filip would like to know how often loan rules are modified (answer a couple of times a month). Patron groups are only changed a few times a year. In general a patron can only be in one group. Jack brought up a complication that exists at Duke in Duke students who teach classes over the summer and we want to grant faculty privileges. Currently this is handled by created separate patrons, which seems non-ideal. Andrea wasn’t sure how to really deal with this complication, and neither did Jack or anyone else.

Functional Matrix

The functional matrix has was on hold during August because IndexData had been focusing on UX work. User stories are in the process of being added to the ticketing system. We still need to go over the added entries in the functional matrix. This will be put on the agenda for next time.


#2

Thank you Jack Hill, super helpful and very efficient work :slight_smile:


#3

This is great…almost like being their in real time!

A comment on the issue raised towards the bottom about creating separate patrons in a non-ideal way. Our current generation of systems encourage this sort of “creative” problem-solving by having a hierarchical and single faceted view of “people”. I’ve long argued in OLE, and now here, that we have a richer sense of people and the roles that they can take. Things will only get more complicated as libraries look to improve patron experience through self-service modes, direct access to things that are currently hidden, etc. We should understand that going forward (and in fact, currently) patrons are multi-faceted and change roles in our systems. Putting more thought into how to represent this and what are the vectors that set the context of a person’s role, seems fruitful for nipping these problem issues in the bud…


#4

Yes! Let’s build something better.