Skip FOLIO Project Navigation

Use cases for discussion in MM SIG 7/27

codex

During our last MM SIG meeting, I suggested that we return to some concrete examples of use cases that we can use to understand/validate the proposed Codex model. Following are two use cases that I think will help us to get a better handle on how the Codex will work. Please feel free to provide additional details about these or correct any part of the process that I may have gotten wrong.

Pre-Order Use Case

1. Librarian receives an email order request for “Elite Minoan architecture : its development at Knossos, Phaistos, and Malia".
  • Librarian searches across library holdings to determine if the library 1) already has access to the title or 2) has ordered the title.

• Searching by the resource title (245) does not match any current holdings, but the librarian discovers that the title is part of a series, ”Prehistory Monographs”.

• Librarian searches by series title and learns that the series is an active standing order.

• Librarian navigates to order record and makes a receiving note indicating that the title “Elite Minoan architecture : its development at Knossos, Phaistos, and Malia” has been requested. Ideally, this triggers an automatic hold for the requestor, ensuring delivery of the item when it arrives.

Firm Order Workflow with Order Originating in GOBI

1. A set of MARC records representing firm orders placed in GOBI are provided to FOLIO. These are brief records used as “placeholders” for the order and may be provided with associated order information.

2. FOLIO loads the MARC records and creates orders using the incoming records and their associated data.

3. EBSCO delivers the items included on the order to the library and, at the same time, provides a full MARC record for each of the items and an EDI invoice to FOLIO. The bibliographic record may be provided with holdings/item information, including assigned call number and barcode, if the libraries uses a shelf-ready processing service.

4. FOLIO loads the full MARC records, overlaying or merging with the corresponding brief records. Part of the load process may create or update holdings/item information.

5. FOLIO loads the EDI invoice.

6. On delivery of any physical resources, shipment is received in FOLIO.

For the second workflow, what will happen if items in the orders match something already in the Codex? I assume we will want the ability to bring in these items to match and overlay, or just to add? If newly added, I assume this will result in new Codex records. Could that result in two Codex records for the same thing? And is this a problem?

Mapping MARC fields to Codex

The following use case is not specific to the codex metadata fields - it’s rather that I’d like to point to this way of working here in Germany.

Union Catalogue Use Case

1. A resource is catalogued in the union catalog.
  2. A holding / an item is attached to this bibliographic record.
  3. FOLIO loads the records into the inventory domain so they become source records.
  4. A FOLIO Codex record is created which contains instance and item data.
  5. Librarian searches and creates an order.
  6. Any update made to the union catalogue record, either on bibliographic or item data, is synchronized back to FOLIO.

My understanding is as follows:

At Steps 2 and 4, on importing records, there would be a “duplicate detection profile” and rules for adding/merging the incoming record or fully replacing the existing record. If the record is a new add, a new Codex instance entry would be created for it. If the record merges with or replaces an existing record, any changed fields would trigger a corresponding update to the existing Codex entry.